Soldering iron temperature

what

some

for

dumped

One of the best short tutorials on soldering for newbies is the EPE (Everyday Practical Electronics) Magazine supplement "EPE Online Basic Soldering Guide". Be sure to click on the links for great illustrations.

It says, "The melting point of most solder is in the region of 188°C (370°F) and the iron tip temperature is typically 330°C to 350°C (626°F to 662°F)." That sounds pretty good, I'll generally set mine to 350°C.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I just got a WES50 with the variable temperature. Now I don't know what to set it to! Right now I am doing a project with lots of SMT and some regular DIP/through hole stuff. Suggestions? Is there a good guide for this on the net somewhere?

--
Include "newsgroup" in the subject line to reply by email (or get dumped
with the spam).

I solder electronics at 700F, 371C. I find a little hotter iron solders faster and more surely. It is less likely to make a pasty joint and it exposes the parts to high temperature for less time.

Reply to
Bob Eldred