dip soldering, prevent oxidation ?

Was it on here that some people suggested putting peanut oil on the dip solder bath to prevent oxidation? I finally got around to trying it, and while it did cut down on oxidation, it made an AWFUL stink! The shop slowly filled with smoke, even though I keep a cover over the pot except while I'm soldering a board. I've got the windows open, and fans blowing, but the smell is still really strong!

I think if I can ever the the residual oil out of that pot, I will go back to the bad old way and a lot of solder dross. My family will toss me out of the house if I ever try this again!

I do see some outfits have some "magic powder" and such to reduce the oxidation (pun intended).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 23:00:04 -0500, Jon Elson Gave us:

You DRAG the dross away just before you dip. The formation of it is inevitable... UNLESS you have the solder bath contained and the chamber is filled with Nitrogen.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Dip solder? All thru hole?

People do surface-mount in toaster ovens. It's a relatively benign process.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think he means a solder pot. (Which is great for tinning magnet wire.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes, and he said he was soldering boards. Envision icicles.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den mandag den 4. april 2016 kl. 06.00.08 UTC+2 skrev Jon Elson:

tin too hot or wrong oil?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ohh, use the clarified butter! Then you can cook mushroom caps in the butter. :^) I worked as a cook for a year, while I was on the line, I was in charge of making the "mushroom caps boiled in butter". Took about 20 minutes for the caps to cook in clarified butter on the steam table. I almost always put an extra one in.. so I could check if it was done. Yummmmy!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

(...)

Try using "wave oil" to reduce dross: Instead of peanut oil's 225C smoke point, these start smoking at 280C. I've used various oils in wave solder machines, but have never tried it in a solder pot.

However, the amount of smoke produced seems to indicate either your solder pot is too hot, or there was something else in the peanut oil. Peanut oil is a mix of different types of fats, which might be part of the smoke problem.

What is the best way to reduce the dross in tin/lead solder pot?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Right I do the SMT parts with the thermocouple-controlled toaster oven, works great! Then, I add 40 (gasp) through-hole connectors by hand, and dip solder these. I have this process just about perfected, too.

Some people suggested putting peanut oil over the solder bath to slow oxidation, but it is just too messy/stinky.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, I got this giant 5x7" solder pot for soldering the through-hole parts.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, that was the first obstacle! But, proper pre-heat of the board, and then a tricky tilting motion before raising the board SLOOOOWLY from the pot, seems to have almost completely eliminted that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, but 250 C is 482 F, so all of the listed oils will smoke. And, it seems 250 C is just about right to prevent icicles.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks MUCH for the above. I had already found wave oil, it seems expensive, and looks like it is normally put up in 5 gallon or larger containers. It seems like I would not be able to use 5 gallons in the remainder of my life! But, maybe somebody will sell it in one gallon sizes.

The peanut oil was in the local grocery store for a few $.

Thanks a LOT guys, for all the answers!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

What would happen if you threw a chunk of flux into the solder pot?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

One New Orleans treat is mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat, breadcrumbs, and lots of butter. They dodn't care much about cholesterol down there.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 09:49:21 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

Lead free? Even worse.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, some of the magic powerds are basically that. They reduce the oxides back to pure metal. I guess I will have to investigate these things and see if I can get them in smaller quantity.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Find an oil with a higher smoke point. Refined peanut oil is only

to find. Otherwise you will need to find a specialty oil with a higher smoke temperature. This is also called "flash point".

--

Rick
Reply to

How about a mineral oil?