Soldering 101 and/ or beginning Electronics DVD's?

Hi,

I have a young daughter and son that I would like to get interested in electronics plus hone my skills as well. I have been looking for beginner soldering and electronic DVD's but without any luck. Maybe I am not searching in the right places.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated, Sincerely, a homeschooling mom

Reply to
mothersescape

The *file the tip* advice here is outdated. Modern tips are iron-clad; filing them will shorten their lives.

Reply to
JeffM

Reply to
mothersescape

Check out:

Review the above and practice - it's not that hard

Dan

-- Dan Hollands

Reply to
Dan Hollands

Just keep the lead out of their little bodies.

John

Have a look at

Graham Knott

Don't forget the safety glasses - you don't want a 2d or 3d degree burn on your eye. It appears as if all the referenced pages did forget.

Reply to
Kitchen Man

Yes, Do not file these kind of tips they will get damaged

"JeffM" wrote i n message news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
God Bless The World

I work in a teaching lab where soldering is done, will will be going over to lead free solder by 2006 as part of the RoHS 'directive'

I doubt the home user has follow these directives, but working in a univercity teachign labs we have googles and fume extractors......

I particualy recomend googles as they are cheap and may well save your eyesight.

using l;ead-free Some basic differences are; that lead free solder melts at about 20C higher than leaded solder. Lead free solder is more corrosive especially for the solder bits which should have a protective coating. You might also need a slightly hotter/higher power iron as more heat is required.

A good solder joint looks different from what the leaded solder does, i.e not a shiny reflective surface, a good lead-free joint will look duller. The joint takes longer to heat up and the components are therefore more likely to be damaged due to heat.

The page is more to do with 'welding' than electronic engineering and components.

The above is a bit technical but does have a few pictures in the 11 page or so PDF.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Everyone does.

Some have protective eyewear as well.
. .

If you spell the word correctly on the order form. . .

I'd like them to make use of spellcheckers mandatory. A little time in an English class wouldn't hurt.

Reply to
JeffM