Sodler braid

HI,

I was looking to bu ysome solder braid from Digikey, There are many shape and companies making them , anyone in particular that is recommended and to stay away from ? Chemtronics, Easy Braid , ... color ? would that affect anything

lerameur

I never saw much difference. Its a simple product.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

So just buy the less expensive one ?

lerameur

Hi, Ken. Chemtronics is a good brand. I've never had a problem with oxidation or inferior product there.

Before you buy, you have to figure out what you're doing. If you're doing hobbyist work, go with the standard rosin flux product. For production or repair, no-clean is neater, but the flux is kind of weak. Also, I don't like no-clean for instrumentation boards or other applications where either leakage current is a problem, or where you'd be concerned about residue causing oxidation. Use standard rosin flux and clean the board afterwards.

For through hole or rough work, I like green (0.08" width). For SMT, I'd guess 0.035" might work well.

Get the 25' length if you can afford it. If you don't have any, get some liquid flux of the same type as the braid to dab on the joint if necessary. Sometimes it helps to dip the end of the braid into the liquid flux. And by the way, also get a Solder Sucker or other device for pulling the bulk of the solder -- braid alone gets expensive, hobbyist, repair or production. It's economical to use the braid for cleanup.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

When I was a kid I made my own with braid from coax cable and flux.

Reply to
Tom Biasi