RS-232 electrical levels

Hi all,

My question es very short: concerning RS-232 ports, why bit-1 is represented as a negative pulse if it goes through the transmission or reception pin, but, it is a positive one if it goes through one of the control lines? It has any electrical benefit? Common sense says to me that in both cases the same coding should be used...

Thanks!

Reply to
MarioGL

I think that was in keeping with the custom that, in TTL, (which
was, as I recall, the predominant logic family when RS-232 was
implemented) data was positive true and control (Chip Select,
Enable, Set, Reset, etc.) was overwhelmingly negative true.
Reply to
John Fields

Interesting, but I think RS-232 is slightly older than TTL.

RS-232 replaced Current Loop. How did the latter handle control signals?

Reply to
mc

There were no control signals. It was a single current loop, the keyboard and the printer in series. Break the loop, and that was the signal.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

That would explain why RS-232 data are upside down (negative for 1, positive for 0 or idle). And since RS-232 control signals did not inherit from Current Loop, they are not upside down.

Reply to
mc