removing supermagnets

I am trying to get the super magnets out of an old hard drive. I have gotten the hard drive apart and found two super magnets attached to what seems to be some sort of magnetic sheilding. Have any of you tried this before?Are the magnets glued on? How can I get the magnets of the plates there attached to?

Reply to
ngdbud

Sounds simple enough :)

Reply to
ngdbud

Heat generally works, but has the side effect of destroying the magnets. If you're trying to salvage the magnet rather than the bracket, try soaking in acetone, or shearing it off in an arbor press or machine vise. I just cut off the excess bracket and drilled new mount holes.

Reply to
Mike Young

"Mike Young" schreef in bericht news:VJvtf.39889$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

If

in

i used a knife (the sharp side) beside the magnets edge the use a small hamer to get under the plate gently tap it it wil come lose only the chrome underside wil get lose but its a very strong magnet i`ve got 2 magnets per harddisk

peter

Reply to
P.Boeren

Bend the plate, the magnet(s) will pop right off.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Exactly, it works for me. I now have dozens of those magnets stuck to a metal cabinet by my workbench. The older the drive, the bigger the magnet. I like the ones I get out of old CD-ROM drives. They are tiny and very powerful. Keep them away from your little kids.

Al

Reply to
Al

Well, I had three hard drives, a total of eight magnets (one had four). I clamped on end of the plaes down and tapped the other with a hammer untill the magnets came out. The same day I broke three of them when they jumped together. I can see whay the little ones shouldn't get near them.

Reply to
ngdbud