Question: Cable Tacker for 18 Gauge Insulated wire

I want to secure 18 gauge insulated wire to strips of Phosphor-bronze strips before soldering the connections and figured I'd use a cable tacker stapler.

The problem is that I don't know what size staples to get, and therefore stapler, because I don't belive the listed diameter of this wire includes the insulation.

"18 gauge wire is 1624.3 CM or .0403" diameter, which is 1.02mm"

Does anyone have any idea on what stapler/staples I'll need for this project?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Staple sizes are stated according to the tool which uses them. This means that you must know what gun size equates to what width. The inch size on the box of staples is the height. Just maddening.

Moreover, the manufacturer's site is useless in clarifying this. The phonegeeks site is the closet thing to clarity.

JeffM

I'm still getting nowhere. So it looks like this is going to be a trial and error situation.

I'll have to find the correct size staples, and try to figure out what gun uses them.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

I thought that you would see the pattern from the PhoneGeeks site. T18 is a 0.1875" wide staple; T37 is 0.375", etc. The width is truncated to 2 digits with no decimal in sight.

Reply to
JeffM

Well actually, the staple width is not an issue. What I need to know is what staples fit over an 18 gauge insulated wire. So that would mean finding out the size of the "arch" in the middle.

I've read that 18 gauge wire is 1624.3 CM or .0403" diameter, which is

1.02mm. But I don't think that takes the insulation itself into consideration.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

That is probably the conductor diameter.

Get a sample of the wire you will be using, and MEASURE IT to determine the staple size you need.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

is

is

That's a difficult thing to do. :-)

The diameter is somewhere betwen 1/16th of an inch and 2 millimeters.

Thanks.