Quartz Trpple distrilled water

--
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-42,GGLD:en&q=deionized+water
Reply to
John Fields

Hi

Can anyone advise where I can get Quartz triple distilled water from (I'm in the UK) and what is it the best conductivity you could expect from the most purest water Also what is the best way of 1/ storing ultra pure water and 2/ dispensing it so that the rest of the water does not get contaminated. Should I dispense it in to several small bottles with pipette lids?

Cheers

Wayne

Reply to
WayneL

LOL. Bureaucrats are the same all over I guess. Your corp. CEO, CTO, CIO will most likely too buzy to answer questions. His Fed countepart, even down to the CIO in charge of a roadside info shack, will have plenty of time and info. YMMV on the info product but they'll at least help you figure out who to call next.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Thanks,

I have used google, but I am after water with an R>18MR.

Wayne

WayneL

I read in sci.electronics.design that WayneL wrote (in ) about 'Quartz Trpple distrilled water', on Tue, 4 Jan 2005:

Try asking the National Physical Laboratory. Few people talk to them (scientists, you know), so your enquiry will be welcomed. (;-)

John Woodgate

___ Highest resistivity you can get is about 18.3 megohm-cm at 25 deg C. Self-ionization of water limits it to any higher value. This type of water can be produced by triple distillation in quartz apparatus or by mixed-bed deionization(much easier). Keeping it this way is tough, because it will have a tendency to dissolve the countainer it is in and absorb atomspheric gasses, especially carbon dioxide. I've seen a demineralizer setup that produced 18.3 megohm-cm water(as measured by an in-line probe) that would measure around 5 after falling through about a foot of air! Purging the container with an inert gas, like argon would help with this, but then you'd have to he concerned about contaminants in the argon, etc. Some argon would dissolve in the water, but couldn't be measured by conductivity. Also there my be organic compounds present that can't be measured by conductivity. What is your application for this water? GRAVITY:

It's not just a good idea-IT'S THE LAW!

Reply to
Charles Jean

Make your own!... Most labs using hyper/ultra pure water have small machines to do just this. If you can find a company near you, involved in the preparation of chemical reagants, they may be prepared to sell you some. The problem is that if you 'buy' such water, it is incredibly difficult to keep it this pure. Normal bottles will contaminate it in only a few minutes (so you end up paying a lot for special containers - teflon coated linings). Do a search through the companies offering laboratory reverse osmosis systems. If one is near you, talk to them. It is not something that is easy to ship, and retain the purity.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

See thread titled "Guy Macon's adventures with ultrapure water".

Reply to
Guy Macon

Yes; the more pure the water is, the more corrosive it becomes (relatively speaking). Water is the universal solvent; even mountains turn into virtual molehills when doused with water. Water is a polar molecule, acid (H) and base (OH) combined.

Reply to
Robert Baer

? no.

?? you seem to mixing your metaphors. it rains on mountains all the time. i wonder how long water would take to dissolve Pt.

??? so what?

while you're at it, can a strong magnet clamped on a pipe remove water hardness?

sheeshh!

Reply to
beavith

Well, it depends on what you mean by corrosive. In one sense, this would be correct, because if you want really ultrapure water, then as it gets purer, any corrosion of whatever it is in (quartz, glass) or is in it (Pt) would matter more. But the actual amount of metallic corrosion will decrease with increasing water purity, while the dissolution of components out of the cell walls would be about constant.

Well, universal shmersal. Like all other solvents, it probably dissolves anything to some extent, but that is not what we mean by universal. It is, though, a pretty good solvent.

A long time {:]. In cold fusion experiments, where they electrolyse for days on end, using a Pt anode, they end up with traces of Pt on the Pd cathode, which wasn't there before (the Pt I mean).

Well, (again playing the pedantic Devil's advocate) it means that there is small concentration of H+ ions (OK, H3O+ for the other pedant) plus OH- ions, and the H+ ions will favour a bit of corrosion; so will any small amounts of O2. But the ions are a result of the polar nature of H2O.

--
Dieter Britz,   Kemisk Institut, Aarhus Universitet, Danmark.
Reply to

The purer, the higher the resistance. See other messages here (18 megohm-cm, etc.)

Bottle material is important. Can't say which is the best; it's not obvious.

Angelo Campanella

Reply to
Angelo Campanella