Problems with the NTE 3083 (4N32) Optoisolator

causing

*before*

Yes, I now see that. I have now replaced the base-to-ground resistor with

1.5K. Circuit works very well now! Thanks!

Don't know...

yourself

While I have reasonable training (engineering/Comp sci) and good basic understanding of circuits I have little practical experience. I'm afraid I've been accepting proposed designs here without full understanding. By and large, it's been very helpful. The baisc disign of my circuit is due to Chris Foley. I think it's very clever. Mistakes in implementations are often my own!

Thanks much

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man

I think this was the problem. See my reply to peterken.

I've wondered about that. Chris Foley proposed them and I thought why not. Still have not tried to drive actual circuit (the ECU on my Jag), so don't even know if the optos will provide the needed current. Since the ECU is normally driven by a pair of tiny Hall effect transistors on a circuit board in the distributor, I expect the 125 mA max of the optos will suffice.

Thanks. That's very kind. I'll let you know if I need them.

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man