Power Requirements for Temporary Emergency Cell Towers

Maybe the coverage isn't as large, maybe service is intermittent, but it should be possible to air drop low power emergency cell towers in remote locations. Hang it up in the top of a tree so it will take awhile for vandels and looters to get to it.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Warn everyone in advance of the hurricane that emergency service will last, say, 5 minutes after every hour on the hour.

Guessing wildly the military has or should have this.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I was looking for something smaller & cheaper with low power & low power requirements:

Bret Cahill

This?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Exactly!

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

There are boosters for cell towers that have weak signaling. You can plug in an AC 120v adapter into the car's cigarette lighter, tyen plug the cell tower booster into the plug socket. That's about the cheapest I know of.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

No fuel, trees on the road . . . you need to air drop PV powered towers.

bc

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Looks like Google beat you to it.

Apparently they needed to get a special FCC license to do it.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Google ought to fly some balloons over the Lost Coast when they get around to it.

150 km N. of Google headquarters and data / voice is really spotty. Someone in Santa Rosa said they don't allow cell towers.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Santa Rosa cell towers are probably all burnt to the ground by now.

Or were you referring to the tree hugger NIMBY mentality?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Around here we have "palm trees" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Why is it that the most unproductive members of our society blame
the most productive members of our society for their failures?

low power requirements:

can plug in an AC 120v adapter into the car's cigarette lighter, tyen plug the cell tower booster into the plug socket. That's about the cheapest I kn ow of.

wers.

rage-to-puerto-rico/

und to it.

meone in Santa Rosa said they don't allow cell towers.

Add another balloon.

A lot of off griders live in the woods on some combination of solar, wind a nd hydro. You'd think by now one technology would dominate, at least on on e farm, but quite a few have all three in addition to diesel backup. Last winter a Pelton wheel & casing were on the road. 1m dia with a 60 m head w ould power grow lights for a good size plantation. Did it just wash out fr om all the rain? Did some meth head rip out the system for the copper? Wa s someone going to pick it up later?

At the post office I didn't even bother to ask.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill