Potting Compounds available in the UK

Hello,

Just wondering what's available in the UK off the shelf as far as electronic encapsulation goes?

I've been using this from Maplin's although it's incredibly viscous and quite wasteful when doing small runs;

Is perhaps quite expensive too.

It's being used to encase these things;

Have done some Googling and most of the companies out there will refer you to distributers, eg. Maplin's. , or want to sell in vast quantities.

Ideally I'd be looking for something like a 1kg rub of resin, and a syringe of hardner. Something which could be used as and when, perhaps with a shelf life of 6 months or so. I used to do die assembly when temping during the summer a few years back and we had this single solution syringe resin which had to be stored in a freezer and was highly toxic.

Any ideas?? :-)

Thanks,

Aly

Reply to
techie_alison

Bondo?

;-)

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

In message , techie_alison writes

Loads of stuff. Depends on why you want to pot as to which you choose.

RS and Farnell used to have a respectable range of potting compounds.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

The Black stuff is highly effective and seems just as happy filling buried power cable splicing boxes as small electronic casings but is mucho expensive. Smaller packets even more so. As an aside, I've not seen mentioned here the use of 'Brown foam'. It's a 2 pack polyurethane mix used by boat builders to fill buoyancy compartments. Nice thing is it's very cheap and hence can be used to fill or pot just about any volume. Just mix up a few spoons-full and pour in. Be sure to screw the lid down very quickly!. regards john

Reply to
john jardine

polyurethane resin as used in making fibreglass composiite. (like canoes, surfboards, and fibreglass circuit boards...)

it's a syrupy liquid resin and watery hardener costs about as much as house paint in similar quantities, lasts about as long on the shelf. moderately toxic I think - store away from foodstuffs, use with ventilation.

probably not as good at thermal transfer as some other products is that an issue?

Try "fibreglassing supplies" in the yellow pages.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Fibreglass, mmmm, might check that out actually. Thanks :-)

Reply to
techie_alison

It's a 2

compartments.

just

down

will check that out too :-) It can't be any worse than the black resin finding it's way through every 0.1mm gap. :-) Ended up adding blu-tac to my last shopping list ;-)

Reply to
techie_alison

I reside not in the sceptered isle but FWIW I use ordinary %100 silicone door and window sealant, AKA caulk, available from the local hardware store. Takes time to cure all the way through, but it skins over quick. I don't know how well the stuff conducts heat.

Reply to
kell