Positioning equipment

Hi,

my teammates and I need to develop some device on one of our collage courses. One of it's features is to be able to determine it's position relative to it's start position. Distances could be up to 1 kilometer and it shouldn't miss more then 10 centimeters. Most important thing about this is the price - it should be as small as possible. GPS is too expensive. We thought of placing three sticks somewhere in area and then to transmit radiowave or ultrasound from our device to them and to measure distance that way, but we don't know how much would this cost. Does anyone have some better idea or at least knows how expensive would be our idea? We're new in this area so I appologize if this question seems stupid to someone.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Qweertz
Brendan Gillatt

They must be making more complex projects down at the Rec Center.

JeffM

First, I do not think you need three anything. Only two for x and y. you need to be more specific in what you are trying to determine. Is it a mechanism which runs on the ground and after time you need to determine where it is? Do you need to know elevation? The doppler you suggest may have some echo problems. What are you allowed to have as far as equipment?

Reply to
poogie

strobe/laser burst, light travel delay measurment?

FM phase/loran type xmit/rcvr (old stuff!) accrate over time,bad short term though

Reply to
HapticZ

^^^^^^^

Would this be for electromechanical placement of the appliqués? ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

and it

is

transmit

that

be

Our device will move accross some field and it should cover whole field (it should pass over every inch of field). There are no limitations considering shape or elevation of field and there can be a lot of obstacles (walls, trees etc.). There are no limitations in using any kind of equipment, but it should be as cheap as possible. I think it would be very difficult to use doppler becouse of the obstacles.

Reply to
Qweertz

With this information my suggestion would be very inexpensive. I would get a computer mouse or better: a track ball mouse and use the guides in it to put over say a basketball. Secure the rollers on a bowl allowing them to run over the surface of the b'ball. This will provide everything you need. A little software calibration on a laptop would provide the accuracy. By rolling the ball the cursor would move accordingly. You could then load the data into a 3d modeling like excel and have a replica of the area covered. I would be cool if you used google earth and calibrated it with that. There is also a distance tool there. I do not know if it zooms to 10 cm. Hope this helps Poogie

Reply to
poogie

BTW optical mouse may be better!

Reply to
poogie

How come we didn't think of this? :) Great idea, thanks! I think we'll use it.

Reply to
Qweertz

This is something that came first on my mind but it's quite expensive and I don't know how good can it work on area of only square kilometer.

Reply to
Qweertz

I'm not sure you'll be able to do better than GPS for an area that large, since GPS receivers have gotten fairly cheap --- $60 - $70 including antenna.

Can you invert the problem? Place a camera on a platform that overlooks the whole area. Put a light on each device that blinks at a prearranged time. The camera looks for the blink and is calibrated so that you can deduce the position of the device from its location in the image.

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

This could be problematic becouse device would have to move across a lot of different fields and it would be too complex for end user to find right spot for the camera. If modified trackball won't work, we'll buy GPS.

Reply to
Qweertz

I doubt optical mouse would be good becouse it doesn't work well in 3D. However, trackball might solve the problem.

Reply to
Qweertz

What about a laser distance finder like surveyors use?

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

but

I suspect it will slip.

Reply to
CWatters

field

(walls,

but

More expensive than GPS ?

Reply to
CWatters

  • it doesn't work well when there are some obstacles.
Reply to
Qweertz

Indeed. I'm not so enthusiastic any more :)

Reply to
Qweertz

This is a technical subject! No need to be able to spell! That will come later when it is necessary to make presentations to management groups and investors?

Reply to
terryS