Piezo buzzer/transducer

Hi out there in Usenet electronics land.

Was hoping to get a little help on something that should be pretty simple.

I want to vibrate a metal plate at different frequencies using a piezo buzzer or transducer of some type for some Cymatic experiments.

I can use the output from a computer or stereo to generate lots of tones but how do I drive a piezo element with a speaker output ?

This question is probably embarassingly easy to answer but I have never used a piezo element for anything other than creating a spark to light my cigarettes. :)

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Canyonero

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Piezo transducers have very non-linear and limited frequency response. If you are working over a narrow range of high frequency it may make sense.

A voice coil drive makes more sense. Back in the old days there was an article in Popular Electronics about a "Sonic Shake Table."

Small transistor oscillator driving a loudspeaker - you could put a fluid in the speaker cone and adjust the frequency to see standing waves in the fluid (fluid being things like mercury, and dry powders so as not to hurt the paper cone).

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default