op amp input ranges

I'd like to know how close to the positive rail you can go with the inputs. I was looking at the LT1013 in particular, but op amp datasheets in general don't seem to adress the question explicitly. Using an op amp as a comparator in a circuit with a single supply, I need to use the inputs to within a tenth of a volt of the positive rail. I had a 741 in the junk box, so I checked and it worked as a comparator with the inputs 0.1 volt from the positive rail. Is this true of the LT1013 or other op amps, and how can l tell before ordering?

Reply to
kell

Why use an op amp that requires output offset adjustment? If you want an old op amp, use the LM1458. It too is a jelly bean (cheap) component.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"kell"

** See page 3,

The "input voltage range" is given as (up to) + 3.8 volts with a +5 volt supply.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Usually the datasheet gives an "input voltage range" specified in terms of Vcc and Vee; sometimes both a safe range (guaranteed not to blow up the chip) and a specified range (guaranteed to work as specified).

For instance, looking at the TI LT1013 datasheet (it just happened to be the first one on Google), I see absolute max input range of Vee-5V to Vcc. The specified common-mode input range may be less than the safe range; for instance, on the same datasheet I see common-mode input voltage range specified from -15V to +13.5V, with +/-15V supplies, at 25C. So that's from Vee, to 1.5V below Vcc. What they're saying is that if you get closer than two diode drops to the positive rail, you won't hurt anything but they won't guarantee proper operation - for instance, it might work okay with less than a certain amount of source impedance.

Some opamps can get close to both rails, some to the positive rail, some to the negative. It depends on the circuit topology, and there are tradeoffs. So-called "single-supply" opamps, IME, generally let you get close to the negative rail but not to the positive rail.

Reply to
Walter Harley

You need to check the *input common mode voltage*on the data sheet.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

A 741 does not *require* input offset adjustment. Leave those pins open if you don't need to use them.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear