newbie: Simple microcontroller circuit gone bad

Watch batteries don't have much capacity to drive an LED, let alone 4 of them. How much current are you sending through each LED? First change would be to go to very high efficiency LEDs and drive them with low current ( a milliamp or 2).

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Hi,

First post and just beginning in microcontrollers and electronics, so please excuse the dumb questions. I have built a circuit with an Atmel 2051 that simply makes 4 leds flash quickly (about 400 hz), using the standard circuit set up for the 2051. It works fine but when I run it off of two 3volt watch batteries, they are dead after about 1 minute. My understanding is that this circuit should run for many hours with these batteries.

I've been over the circuit lots of times looking for short circuits, but can't find any.

a) is this normal behaviour or do I need to use some low power circuitry magic? b) where could I find examples if I need a different low-power schematic?

Thank you.

-- Sean

Reply to
SEB

Hi, Sean. Get 4 "AAA" batteries and a battery holder to give your 6V. Watch batteries aren't made for that kind of current draw. Even if your LEDs are flashing sequentially, you're probably drawing at least 10mA, which is at least

100 times the recommended maximum current for a watch battery. Even getting high intensity LEDs and running them at a couple of mA won't be good enough, and watch batteries are pretty expensive.

BATTERY HOLDER FOR 4 AAA CELLS Radio Shack P/N 270-413 $1.99

These should last for a day or two, at least.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064