Mosfet motor driver circuit advice

Hello,

An old project that I'd been working on is that of an electric fishing Kontiki. I have a circuit that I think will work O.K. but I hope that someone could take a look at it and point out any glaring mistakes. In particular the mosfet motor driver circuit is of concern to me.

The servo retract button and timeset reed switch are on the same input as when the PIC starts up it first checks that input to determine if it should continue with the startup sequence or simply retract the release mechanism into the casing. The DPST switch is to ensure rough waves don't accidentally activate the servo button when in timeset mode.

The seperate voltage regulator for the servo is to hopefully prevent any brownout reset of the PIC should the servo need to draw alot of current if the release mechanism is under load or maybe jammed.

The seconday lines to the servo are in case of PIC failure or bad programming to allow me to control the servo, retract the release mechanism and get the whole thing out to be fixed.

The two reserved PIC I/O pins are for a strobe circuit I may add later. If not then I'll rearrange things on Port A to and figure out how to allow the PIC to sample the battery voltage six times a minute and average it for a more accurate reading.

The zener diode I meant to remove before making the page but I do need to ask if the mosfet needs any over-voltage protection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rubicon.

Reply to
Anonymous

What's the supply voltage to the PIC? The gate drive to the motor-driver fet looks scary.

John

other than the diode as you have mentioned that would other wise cause an issue when the PWM was in it's off cycle, It looks good from here how ever, I was wondering if the signal output of that pic is sufficient to drive the (SP1) transducer? P.S. Using 2 Zeners back to back or a bi-directional TVS diode may achieve what you were trying for on that Zener.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

John,

Thanks for your reply.

The PIC gets 5V from the LDO regulator.

Why does the gate drive to the motor-driver fet look scary?

Regards,

Andrew.

Reply to
Anonymous

Jamie,

Thankyou for your reply and the advice on the diode.

As for the PIC being able to drive the transducer it can quite well though I do remember that sometimes they require a seperate drive circuit. The one I'm using is pulled from a portable phone and may have inbuilt dirve circuitry. I don't know for sure.

Thanks again for taking a look at my circuit.

Regards,

Andrew.

Reply to
Anonymous

R15:R16 divides down the pic logic swing to about 1 volt, and then the transistor Vbe's throw most of that away. So I take it back, it's not scary; the fet will never turn on, so it's perfectly safe.

Oh, I can't find a datasheet for IRF1405N.

John

John,

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing is it not!

So you're suggesting I either remove R16 or dramatically increase its value for a weak pulldown?

The IRF1405 datasheet is now on the bottom of the Geocities page.

Thanks for the infomation.

Regards,

Andrew.

Reply to
Anonymous

OK. Note that Rds-on is specified with +10 volts on the gate. Looking at figs 1 and 3, it's just starting to turn on with +5 on the gate.

Also, this is one of those notorious IR datasheets where they call this a 169 amp part, but put it in a rediculous TO-220 case and provide footnote 6, which says that they really meant 75 amps, which is still hard to believe.

I'd suggest you use a gate driver chip to give a full 12 volts of gate drive, and use four or so of these fets in parallel. It's still sort of scary, as I can image a hundred amps or so of startup motor current. Some sort of *fast* fet overcurrent sensing/shutdown might be prudent. Or get a 1200 amp IGBT module on ebay?

I'd go for a lot beefier D5, too; it could average 100 amps for a while.

John

John,

I've altered the circuit a bit with a driver chip, paralleled motor diodes and assume 4 mosfets though it currently only shows two.

I was thinking that I could maybe use a subroutine to slowly increase the PWM output of the PIC as a sort of soft start. Not sure about this.

I have no specs on the motor but others who build similar things just use one or two 12V SLA batteries, a 55 Amp relay and a mechanical timer.

Must go.. 12.10am

Regards,

Andrew.

Reply to
Anonymous

It's best to overkill here. Replacing blown fets can be a drag.

That's a good idea.

Night!

John

John