mosfet audio quality

How does this IRF530-based circuit compare with, say, an LM3886?

I thought this would make a good first project, but if it doesn't sound so great, then why bother...?

Anyone have experience with this circuit?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I have extensive experience with audio mosfets including a design that was capable of 0.0008% THD @ 1 kHz @ 350W (almost the limit of AP test equipment). The unit's final THD was actually limited by some op-amp stages, although more modern op-amps would fix that.

The IR circuit is in comparison complete rubbish and very basic, although it teaches the basic fundamentals.

Isn't the LM3886 one of National's 'Overture' ? series used in the 'gainclone' type kits ? It's very well regarded. I know someone who just built one and has nothing but praise for it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ouch.

Sounds good. I read bits and pieces of Slone's book online (books.google), and requested a similar book from the library (it should be arriving soon, from a different library branch).

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Well it's little worse that Hitachi's early app notes ! Except that Hitachi gave vastly more support info.

Google 'gainclone' but ignore all the audiophool voodoo shit. Concentrate on the engineering aspects of it, They're basically decent IC amplifiers.

The Nat Semi data is free online of course.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore