measuring amps on my computer's power supply with a multimeter

I'd like to see how many amps my devices are pulling on each wire. To calculate total amps demanded per rail.

It's my understanding that the PSU has a 12V,5V,3.3V rails and they split into wires. Colour distinguishing the rail to whome it belongs.

I have a multimeter. I read that Current must be measured in series but I don't want to cut the PSU wires.

The 4 pin molex connectors on the PSU are male. So if I combine a M-F F-M adaptor, it'll make a small extension cable . Maybe 1 inch of 3 inches. I can cut that and measure there. Will that wire extension create too much of a voltage drop though?

is there are better way of measuring the current?

I dont think i'll be able to find a way like that to extend the 4 wire plug with adaptors. That ATX12V 2x2 plug with the 2 yellow and 2 black wires. They wouldn't make M-F and F-M adaptors for it.

I would sum the amps to help estimate PSU requirements, and perhaps make sure that i'm not taxing a 300W PSU too much. And apparently there's an issue (melting?!) of not wanting > 6A on any 12V rail! though I suppose i'd know before that happens

thanks

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

Hi, q_q. Sorry, but you're heading in the wrong direction. If you use a series resistor large enough to get a measurement, you'll cause the power supply to sag, which will affect operation of the PC.

If you want to read DC current with a multimeter, you can either put the meter on DC Amps, break the line and put the meter in series (won't work for the same reason as above), or else use an AC/DC current clamp. This device operates on a hall effect sensor, and outputs a voltage proportional to the current through the wire being clamped.

Fluke and many other manufacturers make AC/DC current clamp accessories for their DMMs, or you can buy a stand-alone unit.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I just asked somebody else, they said that it's fine, here was their argument in response to " If you use a series resistor large enough to get a measurement,"

i'm not putting a resistor in there. But, even so,

if I will use a F-M extension cable, so, some short wires, and cut them and put the multimeter in series, measuring the amps. So that will add some resistance.

But the reverse of what you wrote is true, because, the lower the resistance, the better the measurement.

And if I just cut the wire and put the multimeter in series, then it's fine. A multimeter has an extremely low resistance, and in a low voltage low current circuit, the resistance, or the effect, is almost negligible.

Reply to
q_q_anonymous

In which case, just try it. Worst case, the PC will malfunction due to voltage sag (particularly on the 5V and 3.3V lines).

You have to ask yourself about your ability to measure a small enough resistance to cause a negligible voltage drop. V = I * R, you know. Actual values of resistance may vary significantly from wire tables, you know. Not only that, but an standard multimeter accuracy is very poor at the low end (e.g. a 1 milliohm shunt, 10 amps = 10mV).

Good luck with your project.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In which case, just try it. Worst case, the PC will malfunction due to voltage sag (particularly on the 5V and 3.3V lines).

You have to ask yourself about your ability to measure a small enough resistance to cause a negligible voltage drop. V = I * R, you know. Actual values of resistance may vary significantly from wire tables, you know. Not only that, but an standard multimeter accuracy is very poor at the low end (e.g. a 1 milliohm shunt, 10 amps = 10mV).

Good luck with your project.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I wonder how useful a multimeter reading will be. I would imagine the current draw from a computer is anything but constant, and the peak current draw may be in brief spikes that the meter won't read. I'd guess a scope-based reading may be better for this, but then you do get back to the issue of inserting a dropping resistor.

Just a thought...

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta