looking for a 555 timer circuit

Great news! I replaced U2 and U3 and it's working now. Thank you for being patient and helping me with this.

Now I just have to get it all into a box and wire in some recepticles to the relays.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Wayne

Now that I've got this working: The SSRs I'm using are Teledyne 641-1. They are working, but in testing I noticed that they bleed through about 8VAC from the 120VAC when they are 'off'. Is this normal? Is there something that I can do to stop that.

Reply to
Wayne

--- I don't know if 8V is normal, but some voltgage there is inevitable because of the relay's leakage current.

When you measure the output voltage of the relay, you'll have a circuit that looks like this:

120V>-----+----E1 | [RELAY] | +----E2 | [METER] | 120VAC>---+----0V

And simplifying it:

120V>-----+----E1 | [R1] | +----E2 | [R2] | 120VAC>---+----0V

Assuming that the impedance of your voltmeter is 10 megohms, we can solve for the OFF resistance of the relay like this:

R2 (E1-E2) 1E7R (120V - 8V) R1 = ----------- = ----------------- = 1.4E8R = 140 megohms E2 8V

Now, assuming that your pumps draw 100mA from the mains means that they have an impedance of:

E 120V R = --- = ------ = 1200 ohms. I 0.1A

Then with the motor connected to the relay instead of the meter, we have:

120V>-----+----E1 | [140M] R1 | +----E2 | [1200R] R2 | 120VAC>---+----0V

Solving for the voltage across the motor yields:

E1 R2 120V * 1200R E2 = --------- = ----------------- = 1.029E-3V ~ 1mV R1 + R2 1.4E8R + 1200R

and the current through it will be:

E 0.001V I = --- = -------- ~ 8.3E-7A = 0.83 microamp, R 1200R

so not to worry!-)

--- Get relays with lower leakage, but there's no problem with what you have now.

According to their data sheet, the leakage at 100C is only 1mA, so you should be fine with what you've got.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
Excellent!