Load panel terminology: stab?

[snip].

Whatever you do, don't grab the bus bear. They can get pretty mean.

On a clear desk, you can sleep forever.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Of course it depends on where you are, but two adjacent breakers are usually on opposite sides of the line so the answer is the same either way.

Reply to
krw

more

"Buss" is short for "Bussman", which is a brand of such things, hence a proper name. Yes, "Buss bar" is a proper name for one brand of bus bars. "Buss" is kinda like "Xerox". With a lower case 'b', "buss" is a kiss.

Reply to
krw

more

Only if Mr. Bussman's first name is Al. ;-)

Reply to
krw

krw writes:

If they're adjacent on the long edges, yes. If they're adjacent on the short edges, no. That's why I did NOT say "adjacent" in my text, it would be ambiguous.

In my panel, breakers are numbered like this:

breaker1 breaker2 breaker3 breaker4 breaker5 breaker6 breaker7 breaker8

Breakers 1 and 2 are on the same stab. Breakers 3 and 4 are on the same stab. Breakers 5 and 6 are on the same stab. Breakers 7 and 8 are on the same stab.

Breakers 1, 2, 5, and 6 are on the "A" 120v line. Breakers 3, 4, 7, and 8 are on the "B" 120v line.

Ah, here's a good photo:

So any double-wide ganged breaker will always pick up both lines, giving 240v, and two breakers across from each other always pick up the same line as they share a stab.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

more

Aren't most new breaker boxes? I've had to replace several with both aluminum bus bars, netral and ground bars after one or more failed. The new breakers i see have a contact lube in them.

Michael A. Terrell

Right. I was considering 1 and 3 to be adjacent.

Yes. There was a lot of miscommunicatin' goin' on.

Reply to
krw

put more

No. At least all I've seen are copper. The one I bought recently was nickel plated though.

None on mine.

Reply to
krw

Yes, exactly.

Reply to
Jamie

Actually, to clarify that a bit, it's a non additional hardware required bonding connection. In other words, It bonds to the electrical bus/rail with out means of additional hardware. Like nuts,screws and bolts etc.. Spring loaded fingers on the device or a straight blade being inserted into a fixture that has the tension bonding terminals or opposite.

Hence the word "STAB", to insert under pressure. Does not matter which side has the actual tension bonding body. It's just the protruding bonding object to be inserted, is the stab.

There are breakers that do not use STABS. They are electrically bonded via screws, bolts and various other methods. These types require the bus to be cold when doing so, unless you want to live dangerously. Most Disconnect devices can provide you this kind of protection how ever, it's been noted several times that these devices can fail, to fully isolate the disconnected termination's. Caution should be exercised, fully testing to verify a system is fully de energized and locked out using you're own person locking system that you are in control of.

Reply to
Jamie

Don't pay any attention to Michael - he's just an angry old coot.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

LOL! ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And if you ever try to buss a bare bear in Buss's bar, that's one too many.

(ducking) Ed

Reply to
ehsjr