isolating RS-485 suggestions

I've found a few basic ways to do this:

1) Use a standard non-isolated RS-485 transceiver, and isolate the data/control lines going to it with 6N137 optoisolators. 2) Use an isolated transceiver.

With either of these methods you have to provide isolated power to the transciever chip: a) use a small isolated DC-DC converter b) use a small transformer (P/N ??)

9600 baud, 300' distance

Any suggestions or alternate methods? thx

Reply to
jibberjabber

Go wireless with those small 400-something MHz modems.

or

- Ethernet.

- Current loop.

- Power the isolated transmitter by the receiver (i.e. use more wires)

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

We're commited to 485 and I need to isolate a leg. Is there a "best" way to do it?

Reply to
jibberjabber