iriver mp3 car charger problem

Hi there, I have an iriver mp3 player. Its a H100 series 15G player. I lost my mains charger and wanted to charge it. I have a belkin car charger for my 12V FM transmitter. The voltage on the back of the player says 5V. I wasnt sure if those car chargers were universal or not. So i plug it in and pretty much straight away the light goes out on the charger and the fuse blows in it. Ive ordered a proper charger from iriver, but I dont know if i have fried my player. Do you think and extra 7V in 2 seconds would do any damage. Im a bit freaked out cause i had all my fav music on there, and havent backed it up. I'll get the iriver charger in a few days, but was wondering if anyone had any opinion on this????

thanx..

kevin

Reply to
jezek2003

Oh, yes, I definitely have an opinion.

Sorry, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

kevin, doesn't sound too good. if the transmitter is 12V, the "charger" is just a fuse probably and the current is almost unlimited for the first moment, the fuse will only protect from catching fire. I don't know about iRiver, but there are appliances that are protected against overvoltage. All the gadgets I build will survive a 40V overvoltage of any polarity, but they have their own fuse inside. This is usually not done in consumer stuff, especially the miniature one. Well as long as you havn't stored your digital fotos in there, the music can be collected again.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

One day snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com got dressed and committed to text

I wouldnt get too optimistic if I were you :-( However maybe it has survived the double voltage, personally I'd bet it's toasted.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull