Inductor calculation?

one way to minimise Q is to add a parasitic resistor, but I suspect that is not what you want. I rather think you want to build a loop antenna.

For a loop antenna Q reduces (and sensitivity increases) as area of the aperature is enlarged. so make the diameter of the winding as large as practical and add turns until the indutance gets close to your target.

--
¡spu?? ou '?? ?oo?
Reply to

you can use finer wire and build a smaller 265uH inductor with higher Q and less (mass) but longer wire.

Look at doing an air-core toroid.

as the field-line are (almost) all inside the windings these have minimal coupling to the rest of the universe ans so a very high Q (only resistive losses)

AIUI for a given size of core if you double the windings the unductance quadruples. so if you replace one layer of windings with two layers of wire half the diameter (and twice as many turns on each layer) you get

16 times the inductance etc...
Reply to
Jasen Betts

No I meant -maximize- Q.

I'm thinking about tank circuit for crystal radios.

MikeK

Reply to
amdx