Repairing lifted solder pads

I have wanted to repair some lifted solder pads at times but the kits that I have found sell for hundreds of dollars. I just want the glue part and a sheet of copper. Does anyone know what kind of glue that can be used to replace a solder pad? I think I can find a thin sheet of copper but I am not sure of the glue that will hold up to the heat. Any ideas for the financially challenged? Thanks Russ

Reply to
Russ

Can't see why you'd bother. Remove the loose pad by cutting through the track with a sharp blade. Use some copper wire of a suitable diameter wrapped once round the component pin and extending into the good part of the track. Obviously you'll need to clean off any solder resist. It may not look pretty but who cares?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well if you are working on small SMD stuff, I use super glue (cyanoacrylate), and a piece of small wire to bridge the gap if the trace is broken. Sometimes the trace is too small and I just bridge it with solder. The problem with super glue is that the fumes it produces are like tear gas, but it usually sticks ok. There have been many discussions about this topic in the past. Try doing a search for it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Broken pcb traces and pads, bridging pcb holes that are too small for the component leg going throuh, so solder cracks, etc Eventually found a hobby shop with what I was after

2 copper and 2 brass 80 mesh 5 x 6 inch sheets, bit finer than I was after but finer is better than coarser. Amaco of Indianapolis , Wireform Metal Mesh and Wiremesh woven Fabric. Presumably bigger sheets of it are used by the mind control nutters. A 2 hole paper punch makes neat 5mm pads and a needle to make a pilot hole.

If lifted pads from use of a "proper" desolder tool, try a hot air gun ( No flaming please) try it first, explained on the tips files off below

N_Cook

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I also used salvaged pads/traces from scrap PCBs,and used eyelets to hold down the pads.you can cut off a worn hex key,chuck it in a drill,and grind down the end to a cone for cinching the eyelets.Eyelet kits I've used had two rods with conical tips,one fit into a metal block for holding it erect to support the backside of the eyelet while you tapped down the topside of the eyelet with the other tool. Never found any useful glue that would hold up under soldering,though.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I sort of assumed it wouldn't be surface mount given the talk about sheets of copper to repair it. ;-)

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that set small conical ended hex rod in a drill to sort of grind a stopped hole in the pcb . Then press fit an eyelet down into this enlarged , cone bottomed hole as in friction fit cinching process?

N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:gnhhk1$vp0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

no the conical rod/hex key is a tool to flare out the eyelet. The drill part is to make a conical end on the hex key rod. I chose the hex key because it's tool steel and was available,you could use an old drill bit.

I use a drill bit to drill holes in PCBs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks everyone, a few more thoughts.

I sometimes can't use a a wire type repair and really need to have that pad back so that it is anchored to the board for strength. I have tried super glue but it didn't hold. I went to an auto store and found the best High temp two part glue they had but it didn't work. I think the way they repair these things is to use thin copper sheet with a two part heat activated epoxy. Any ideas or links to the glue they use? I am thinking Loctite might make something like this so I will call them asap. Thanks again Russ

N_Cook, I am not sure about the "Amaco of Indianapolis" Is this where you buy the thin copper? Is it a arts and crafts store?

Reply to
Russ

that was the product name , otherwise bought at

Anyone aware of a punch mechanism , smaller than the usual 5mm desk paper punches ? Leather punch pliers have to be really sharp to cut this copper mesh as its not a punch through operation.

N_Cook

Russ wrote in news:1c10ba0e-8dbb-409e-a934- snipped-for-privacy@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

You can buy rolls of copper that has an adhesive on one side.

and sheets such as

and

bz    	73 de N5BZ k

 Click to see the full signature