how to reduce the mains voltage

Thanks.

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

Cheers. I have a 300 VA 50v output toriod in an amplifier that I want to re-use in an amp that needs 40 - 45v AC. I'll get to calculating...

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

Toroids are great for that if they aren't potted. I used a pair of large toroids from a surplus store for an audio power amp. The voltage was borderline for the transistors I was using, so I wound a few turns on the core and phased it to subtract voltage. I think it was two turns of wire was ~.8 volts, and I wanted to go down 5 volts.

Reply to
default

Interesting thanks, I'll consider that too. It's well wrapped but I might be able to work something out. It's a project I haven't touched for a wee while now.

(I was also considering doing a small top-winding with insulated wire to get a low voltage out of it for the speaker protection circuit I'd like to fit rather than buying and including a second transformer in the chassis.)

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

I used 16 AWG THHN stranded (high temp wire for conduit) and just wired it on the outside and subtracted the out of phase voltage from the secondary. Regulation may have suffered a bit but I had a lot of filter capacitors, and low ESR photo-flash caps.

Reply to
default

Cheers.

--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

~misfit~

Here is a timer module for custom control systems. I will be using one on my new well pump controls.

Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)