How to power a single LED from a 12v supply?

If you wanna see something illuminated by one or more LEDs at night, I strongly advise choosing white over red.

White ones have roughly double the luminous efficacy of red ones, and that is according to "photopic vision" / "day vision". The disadvantage of red for illuminating things from low power worsens when the application is a nighttime/"dark" one. Human "night vision" ("scotopic vision") peaks at a shorter wavelength than human photopic vision does.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

If the LED voltage drop is less than the supply voltage by about or more than one "diode drop" (roughly .6 volt, .3 for less-lossy Schottky diode), then the circuit topology seriously changes.

If the load voltage is below the supply voltage by more than a "diode drop", then the favored circuit topology is a "buck regulator" or "buck / bucking switching regulator". Preferably load current as opposed to load voltage is what is regulated.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

At 10 mA, red LEDs tend to have voltage drop of 1.6 to 1.95 volts. Even longer-wavelength lower-efficiency ones with GaAs substrate tend to have voltage drop around 1.6 volts, slightly exceeding 1.5 volts, at 10 or even 5 mA.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

Thanks for the correction - it's been a while since I've actually used an LED, so my numbers were kind of pulled out of a hat, primarily for the sake of example.

In either case, the formula still applies. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I have seen this phenomenon also. I am still wondering whether the mechanism is stimulated emission (something lasers depend on) or the usually-less-desired "quenching".

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

I think that a 1 watt "potentiometer" ("variable resistor") is sufficient. If even 11V after LED drop appears across total resistance, at 20 mA this is .22 watt.

Heck, since I know some super-efficient LEDs, I would suggest 10 or 5-6 milliamps max, which means ~1K to 1.8K ohms fixed series resistor (go for less here), and the variable one then only needs to pass at most an amount of current that would produce less than 1/8 watt of heat in full resistance of its resistive part.

For that matter, I would choose a "potentiometer" (a "pot") of 5K to 10K ohms, in case a milliamp or 2 is sufficient with a super-efficient white LED (such as the Digi-Key stocked Cree C535A-WJN-CU0V0231).

6 degrees sounds to me so narrow that the LED needs to be distant from the flag by 6-8 times the width of the flag.

Bright white "low-power" white LEDs tend to have beam angle (2-theta-1/2) of at least 15 degrees - good for placing no farther than 4 times the width of the flag, maybe only 3 times. Ones with better optical efficiency appear to me to be wider beam ones

40-plus degrees that want to have distance from the flag not greatly more than the width of the flag.

If the size of the flag is small, then the LED that I named can illuminate it at nighttime at 1 or 2 milliamps.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

Although this is true, I would suggest *not* worrying about mere milliwatts of power consumption waste, especially "in light of" LEDs that are both "widebeam" and capable of putting spots in people's eyes at a few mA. Put one or 2-3 series-wired puppies somewhat-in-front-of-the-flag by a distance roughly the width of the flag (with plenty of "give-or-take"), and you probably have all the light you need from around 2 mA, fair chance

1 mA.

Such as with the "in-stock" "Digi-Key-available in-stock" Cree C535A-WJN-CU0V0231. That one is a nominally 110 degree model, known to me to make itself visibly glowing in "direct high-noon sunlight" at 2.5 milliamps.

Nichia makes even better "low-power" LEDs, but it appears to me that you need to buy those 100 at a time from one of their sales offices, such as the one close to Detroit.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

In , petrus bitbyter wrote (slightly edited for space by me):

Though I could agree with this suggestion to use market-available products, I also suggest usage of 1-3 LEDs "in series string" (such as Digi-Key-available C535A-WJN-CU0V0231) to work from ~1 to ~2.5 milliamps) along with a sauitable "dropping resistor" as high as around

1.0 kiilo-ohm, maybe 2.2 kilo-ohm (a common rersistor resistance).

In the likely event the current drawn by LED(s) gets down to ~2.5 or ~1 milliamp "ballpark", then I have doubt about practical improvement over the "obviously wasteful" "dropping resistors" that "more obviosly" "waste power". At ~2.5 mA or less, I would re-consider "energy efficiciency requirement" due to small figures for enegy and power requirements.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to