How to design an abitration cicuit related to interrupt controller

Hello everybody,

I'm Quang Anh. I'm living in Vietnam, a small and nice country in South Asian. This is the first time I've posted a topic in this group for help.

I has been working in a hadware company for about one year. Now, I'm in charge of designing an interrupt controller (INTC) for a CPU. This module is expected to work at high speed. Therefore, it's very hard for such a beginner like me to design. One of my concerns is how to design a fix-prority arbitration circuit whose specification is as belows: 1. There are 27 interrupt requests, int_req[26:0] 2. Assume that int_req[0] always has higher priority than int_req[1], int_req[1] has higher prority than int_req[2], and so on, ...int_req[26] has lowest priority 3. The circuit must be designed by using only combinational logics to get quick respone latency

My first idea to design this circuit can be explained by using Verilog as follows:

input [26:0] int_req; //Request output [26:0] int_gnt; //Grant

assign int_gnt[0] = int_req[0]; //Always accepted assign int_gnt[1] = ~int_req[0] & int_req[1]; assing int_gnt[2] = ! (int_req[0] | int_req[1]) & int_req[2]; ...... assign int_gnt[26] = ! (int_req[0] | ... | int_req[25]) & int_req[26];

However, when I synthesized my design, the timing constraint could not be met due to high speed (high clock frequency).

Anyone who knows how to desing this kind of circuit well, would you kindly teach me ?

In addition, could you please tell me some books or website on internet where I can learn how to design an arbitration circuit effectively ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards, Quang Anh

Reply to
Quang Anh

"Quang Anh" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@c18g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

It's just a matter of digital design. If you have had no lectures and practice during your education, you will have a hard time. (When I was a student, priority encoding was was covered and later I teached my students the same.) You can make a start looking at the old SN74148 priority encoder. No doubt the datasheet can be found on the web. It covers the truth table and a gate layout of an 8-bits priority encoder. Blinding speed at the time:

10ns delay. You may understand immediately why synthesizing it the way you did - although theoratically correct (and incomplete) - cannot be fast enough. Following the cascading scheme of that encoder may also make the circuit too slow.

For books, go to Amazone and search for "digital design." For the internet use Google.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter