battery capacity calculations metal nickle halide

really confused about this rating

i am using a 3,500 mah c cell to powe a 20 ma led

how may days ( about--i understand the fall offf of volatage) can i run the led--i amusing a vanson smart charger to charge the c cells (2) in series.

i would think the calculation would go like this

3500/20 == how many hours the led should light

((3500)/20) /24 how many days the led sould be lite

i get about 5 days running the led right now after fully charging the cells--about 4 hours

what is wrong with my calculation

tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

Most cells are rated based on a 10 hour rate which means if your cell is rated for 3500mAH, you should be able to draw 350mA for 10 hours. In my experience, when you draww less than the 10 hour rate you usually get more than rated capacity. Since you say you are only drawing 20ma, your calculations appear to be correct and come out to a little under 7.5 days and I would expect a little more than this based on what I said above concerning more capacity at loads under the 10 hour rate. If you are not getting that then you must either have more current draw than you think you do or the battery is not delivering rated capacity (which would not surprise me).

Reply to
Bill

--
What is the rated voltage drop across the LED with 20mA going through
it?

The OP didn't describe the circuit (single LED? series resistor?).So another reason for the apparent discrepancy could be that the voltage across the battery is falling below the level at which the LED illuminates.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

circuit is simply a led across the + and _ pole of the battery i think what is happening is the voltage is dropping such that the led cannot light

thanks for all the info

Reply to
ilaboo

ilaboo wrote: [...]

That is a small device which should keep you going some longer... Good luck with it:)

Reply to
Vidar Løkken

Indeed!

--