How can I inspect AC mains signal on my +/-5v scope?

I need to find a way to couple the AC mains signal to my low voltage scope input. I'm adjusting a rotary spark gap and need to get the "bangs" on the up and downswing of the AC cycle.

Is there something I can build with a transformer / optoisolator - or is it easier than that?

Dave

Reply to
Kasterborus

Hi Dave, I'm not quite sure what you are doing. You can couple AC to your scope by connecting a coil to the input and moving it close to the AC signal.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

An AC wall-wart transformer will work, and is safe. It will introduce just a little phase shift. Add a resistive voltage divider or a pot if the peak voltage is too high for your scope.

John

They call it a 100:1 or 1000:1 scope probe for HV work.

"

Reply to
Jamie

HV Probes are for actual High Voltage.

His problem isn't high voltage, but trying to connect the scope input across the AC line. The little problem of grounding one side of the line with the ground lead is one issue here.

He needs isolation.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

** Which is just what the AC supply voltage is.
** The OP's problem IS that the AC line voltage is beyond the range of his scope.
** What need is there for that ?

The OP can use a 100:1 probe and attach the tip to the hot (or active) side of the supply - presuming the scope ground is already linked to safety ground.

** Nonsense.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison