Homebrew Transformer

1 cm^2 seems awfully small. Double the sides to 4 cm^2 and you'll get about 11 turns/V. Not too bad.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

What if the input voltage is a dc pulsed voltage ..? (mosfet+tr)

Did this for 48V @ 175 kHz .5 cm^2: (48*10**8)/(2*3.14*175000*.5*10000) = .874 turns

(48*10**8)/(2*pi*175000*(pi*.1*.25)*10000) = 5.56 turns (piece of steelthread would do as core? :)

What gauss values could one expect from easily available materials like nails, steelthread etc..? ,cores from used electronics? Would be useful to test setups.

Reply to
pbdelete

My reasoning for suggesting he fuse the ends was that he was going to have a fair amount of winding to be done and I expected that to be considerably more annoying if he had the springy ends of that iron wire bouncing around on him. That wasn't going to be enough to give him a really rigid core to work with but it was a start.

Reply to
Don Taylor

That's cheating, changing conditions. :)

ISTR eddy currents get real bad at those frequencies.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

"YD"

** Late comer & totally asinine FUCKWIT !!

** He did say - you illiterate ASS !!

** The risks are ALWAYS there - you illiterate f****ng ASS.
** Shame how YO are completely brain dead.

** BEWARE OF THIS DAMN IDIOT !!!

OR HE WILL KILL SOME INNOCENT PERSON

Probably YOU.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Don Taylor"

** BEWARE OF THIS DAMN IDIOT !!!

OR HE WILL KILL SOME INNOCENT PERSON

Maybe YOU.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"YD"

** PISS OFF - f****ng IDIOT.

BEWARE OF THIS DAMN IDIOT !!!

OR HE WILL KILL SOME INNOCENT PERSON

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I look forward to news of the liability suit !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

IF you bothered to READ you would noticed the "prefer to buy".

Reply to
pbdelete

If you'd bothered to notice, Phil is our resident "OH MY GOD! EVEN THINKING THE WORD "ELECTRICITY" IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PhD IN ELECTRONICS WILL KILL YOU!!!" Chicken-little type.

And as a bonus, he doubles as a 'net-stalker, group whipping boy, and all-around kook.

Your best bet is to killfile him.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

Point taken, althought I suspected it :)

ALL YOUR ELECTRIC THOUGHTS WILL KILL YOU :-)

Reply to
pbdelete
** This congenital ASS is completely demented.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Don Brain DEAD Bruder"

** PISS OFF - f****ng IDIOT.

BEWARE OF THIS DAMN IDIOT !!!

OR HE WILL KILL SOME INNOCENT PERSON

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
** PISS OFF - f****ng IDIOT.

BEWARE OF THIS DAMN IDIOT !!!

OR HE WILL KILL SOME INNOCENT PERSON

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok, I figured you were worried about closing the field lines. Soft iron can be bent to reasonably hold shape, and anyway it will need to be wrapped in a layer or two of duct tape before winding the copper.

Wouldn't closing the ends electrically make it behave as a singular turn, albeit a very long one?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

So maybe I missed it, so what?

Manageable risks, he's being told how to go about it. Anyway, it's not my ass getting fried if he does something wrong. Let him do the experiments, how else is he going to learn the smell of magic smoke?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

"YD"

** BEWARE OF THIS DAMN IDIOT !!!

OR HE WILL KILL SOME INNOCENT PERSON

Maybe YOU.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not much risk of that where I am. Around here we still believe in personal responsibility. He's been told about the dangers and how to get around them. That's the end of any liability AFAIAC.

Let him smell the magic smoke and get a taste for it. With all the screeching going on how is anyone supposed to learn anything at all?

Did someone tell him directly to do something foolish? Is he supposed to not even get out of bed because life in an upright position holds some inherent dangers? Is any kind of experiment that may go fiss or bang verboten? If I dig a hole and being slightly tipsy, step in it breaking my foot, can I sue the shovel maker?

I have a book on chemistry for boys, printed in the 40s, 1st edition was sometime in the twenties. By today's standards it would not only be banned, but burned at the stake. All kinds of fun stuff, fireworks, pulsating mercury blobs, glass etching and so on. Too bad I lost the companion book, recipes on purifying sulphuric acid and other fun stuff.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Phil, I've read quite a few of your "helpful" replies to people on Usenet, and quite frankly, I'd like to punch your face really hard. You really are a total wanker. What's the matter with you? Are you mentally ill?

Reply to
mike.j.harvey

"YD" = Yobbo & Dickhead

** BEWARE OF THIS CRIMINAL IDIOT !!!