HELP Muxed a/d

I have a program which reads an ADC0831 via the parallel port. I occurs to me that by using a CD4053 and sending it signals via the RS232 data lines that I might be able to selectively read an ADCs data out line. This would be accomplished by a minor mod to my existing program.

My concern is in adding the load of 2 more ADCs to the port and the effect that will have RS232 lines 1, 3, & 4 are output from the computer. I can't see that connecting the 3 together would effect the ADC but I am not sure.

Can someone with this experience satisfy my anxiety?

RAZ

Reply to
Razzel

Why complicate things by adding a serial port? You don't describe how you are reading the ADC with the parallel port, but there are probably some lines available there. If you are using the Data address as input, you can use a couple of the Control lines to control the 4053. If you are using Status lines as input, you have 8 Data lines to choose from.

I'm a little confused about your comment on the "load of 2 more ADCs". You will be connecting your 3 analog inputs to the 4053. The single ADC sees the output of the 4053 and is connected to the port as usual. The only change is 2 extra port outputs to switch the

4053, a negligible load on the port.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Bob Masta