harnessing a stereo receiver speaker wire signal to produce light

I'm playing around building some furniture using epoxy and LEDs and I got the idea of somehow harnessing my stereo (and hence my music) to provide the control signal for a bank of LEDs. Unfortunately while I understand electronics on a very basic level I really have no idea how to do this.

I have two things that I might want to do.

The first would be simply to select a fairly narrow range of frequencies (either high or low) and use it to turn the LEDs on or off in some sort of sequential manner. So first time the frequency is hit LEDs go on, second time they go off, etc.

The second would be to have different LEDs powered by different frequency ranges. I imagine that this would be a bit more complicated in that it would involve seperating out the frequencies and then passing those results along to some sort of switch. I know that the crossover unit from a speaker basically does this but it's obviously working with big chunks of the frequency spectrum.

Any ways to do this that are fairly simple and within the realm of possibility for a newbie? I'm generally pretty good with soldering and mechanical tasks and I understand how logical circuits work (or at least I did at one point in time).

Thanks,

Sahsa

Reply to
sasha.cuerda

Hi, Sasha. What you're looking for is called a light organ.

You can Google it, or if you'd like, take advantage of any number of kits. I like the Velleman product, so try looking at their MK110 SIMPLE ONE CHANNEL LIGHT ORGAN, (caution -- uses mains voltage) or their MK114 LOW VOLTAGE LIGHT ORGAN (operates off car battery).

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

could be tricky to set that up.