Google Groper needs help choosing MCU

Hopefully this is the last time I use Google Gropes. You guys are right. Yeesh. Sorry about this.

I have used PIC chips for well over a decade, and in particular, have developed circuits using the PIC16C773 due to the 12-bit ADC. Everything would be rosy with the '773, except that I fried my two windowed chips, they are no longer stocked by DigiKey or Mouser, and it just seems like I could modernize a bit with an MCU that supports, among other things:

  • 12-bit ADC
  • Serial port
  • EEPROM or Flash, instead of EPROM / OTP
  • Low pin count packages that a geezer can solder -- does not have to be DIP necessarily
  • Free software tools, possibly even C compiler
  • Relatively painless programmer hardware

Another option would be to use one of the flash-based PIC chips and switch to an outboard ADC, if the collective wisdom favored such a route.

Thanks in advance for letting me use GG one last time, and for any wisdom you are willing to share.

Reply to
Bearded Occam

There are PIC18F parts with low pin counts and ADCs. Microchip gives away their compiler (with optimizations turned off), and you're already familiar with their line.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

PIC's are nice for small things. The newer flash versions are also nice. AVR's are in there some where with flat memory addressing.. The ATmega's are very nice and offer lots of goodies..

The 87c51 old stand by series are good along with the newer line etc.. 89c51,52,54,58's ect...

There are many to select from.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks, Paul. I've been using the 18F2431 for 28-pin projects for a long time now. I wasn't aware of the 12 bit ADC nor the larger amount of memory in the 18F2553. I think I'll put a few of those chips on my shopping list for my next Microchip order.

Best,

Tom

Reply to
Tom2000

Now, I just need to contact Microchip and arrange for my commission!

Glad to help. It's also information that I and others might be able to use.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen