frequency mixing : ~ns electrical pulse at 100kHz + 400MHz RF sinusoidal wave

I would like to mix two electrical waves. One is ~ns electrical pulse at 100kHz and other is a 400MHz RF sinusoial wave.

Would you please recommend any device which can mix two waves?

I've heard that a GaAs SPDT switch or frequency mixer can do this kind of job. If you know how to use this kind of device, would you tell me the instruction of the operation?

Thanks.

Reply to
Q-man

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=frequency+mixer+operation

http://members.tripod.com/michaelgellis/mixersin.html
Reply to
John Fields

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Q-man) wrote

A diode. It's the simplest mixer there is.

Reply to
dB

I would like to mix two electrical sources. One is ~ns electrical pulse at 100kHz and the other is 400MHz RF sinusoidal wave.

I think there is a problem to use the frequency mixer to combine two signals. It is because the nsec electrial pulse at 100kHz has a DC component. I cannot find any frequency mixer has DC output from IF port.

May I hear your opinion ?

Reply to
Q-man

sorry for making a mistake. This is a correction.

It is because the nsec electrial pulse at 100kHz has a DC component. I cannot find any frequency mixer has "DC input" from either RF or LO port.

Reply to
Q-man

In article , John Fields writes

Mixing is multiplication so that you wish to multiply the 400MHz sine with 0 or 1 at 100kHz . A switch can be used the The limits are how perfect the switch can be. Minicircuits double balances mixers would be as good as any solution.

--
ddwyer
Reply to

Actually, the DC component will be very small if the duty cycle is nanoseconds per 10 microseconds. Still, ring diode mixers will let a lot of signal through with zero LO input.

Fairchild has a bunch of interesting analog switches...

John

That's right. If duty cycle is getting smaller, that effect will be minimized.

By the way, I would like to try to use the SPDT switch to generate the mixed signals. I contact the Minicircuit but it is hard to understand how to use. If you know how to use this switch, would you please tell me ? There are five ports in this switch. RF in, control ports 1 and 2, RF out 1 and 2. Especially i am confused about control ports.

model : ZFSW-2-46

Thanks.

Q-man