Fitting co-ax aerial socket to DAB radio that doesn't have one

I recently bought a Sony CMT-SPZ90DAB mini hi-fi with a DAB radio. The aerial provided is a 2m length of wire connected to one female pin of a a small plastic 3 pin plug which fits into a 3 male pin socket. There is no other aerial connection. Reception in my area is very poor and I have lost most of my favourite FM stations, and can receive only 6 DAB frequencies.

I have a roof top mounted FM Yagi with 50 ohm co-ax and an internal "slim jim" DAB aerial with 75 ohm co-ax and no way of connecting either to the radio. Connecting to the single pin or the aerial wire, and earthing the braid to casing doesn't work.

A Google search provided the following from a 2001 post to this group

"If you *must* go tampering inside this crap radio, connect the coax inner via a small (100pf?) capacitor to wherever the dangly wire goes, and the outer by another capacitor to the largest lump of copper you can find on the PCB."

Can anyone confirm that this is correct or have any other suggestions? I know little about radio electronics and would appreciate help from one of you knowledgable boffins out there.

Here's hoping.

Reply to
Tyro

. What frequencies do these DAB radios receive. Satellites? Gigahertz etc.? OP says he 'lost' his FM stations? Surely he needs an FM band radio to receive them; using either a whip antenna or connecting to and pointing his FM antenna in the proper direction? Question puzzles, sorry.

Reply to
terry

DAB is around 220 MHz in England.

I think the OP's radio receives (or rather doesn't in the OP's case) FM as well.

Gareth

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth