electromagnet OPENING a door

Hi,

I'm building a small safe with an electronic strike (i.e., latch). When a timer activates, the strike releases. I want the door to pop open, and using a spring is awkward. I thought a simple electromagnet might work. Can somebody suggest a geometry.

Cheap strong electromagnets seem to be of the U-shaped variety. Can I use one of these and a permanent magnet to repel each other? (I can't use two permanent magnets because the pre-load on the strike can be enough to prevent it from opening.)

Thanks for any help.

sammy

Reply to
Sammy Taylor

I can't imagine why not, as long as you can figure out how to trigger it and everything. Unless you hit it with enough force to make the lid a lethal weapon, it shouldn't hurt the permanent magnet, as long as it's really "permanent". :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

yes if you can get a magnet with the correct configuration and of the correct strength, too weak and the electromagnet will attract it, too strong and it will stick to the electromagnet

(I can't use two

here's some other ideas. use the the electromagnet to hold the door shut while you trigger the strike, and then release it and let the spring open the door.

use a push-type solenoid to nudge the door open when you trigger the strike

replace the strike with one with a stronger solenoid, or replace the solenoid etc...

Use a central locking actuator to operate the latch or to nudge the door.

hmm, thinking automotive, don't some vehicles have electricly opened fuel flaps?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts