Difficulty identifying SMD semis via markings

I've never had to look up a SMD semi before now. Unlike JEDEC codes, these less-than-brief alphanumeric codes have no standard that I can find.

And if there's no manufacturer mark (or it has become illegible), there's no hope of finding a replacement.

In my case: HFJ (the "J" is smaller than the others), 3 terminal, SOT-23 size.

I'm speaking, of course, of a circuit that has no schematic available for it.

Is there a device code data base? Maybe I just missed it in my Yahooing?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Meat Plow

No "HFJ" listings.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

On Thu, 27 May 2010 12:24:36 -0700, DaveC put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, a "HF" marking code identifies a Toshiba 2SC3124 NPN transistor,

15V, 50mA, for TV Tuner, VHF Oscillator Applications:

The lowercase "j" may be unrelated to the part number.

For example, a Philips BCW89 transistor has a marking code of H3*, where *=p for "Made in Hong Kong", or *=t for "Made in Malaysia".

You may be able to discern the manufacturer, or country of origin, from the surrounding components. The function of the device may be deduced from the circuit itself. For example, is the board part of a tuner?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

no

it.

some more sources

"part marking", "top code", "topcode" ,"top mark", "topmark" ,"marking" as synonym adjunct keywords for SMD device coding via Google along with "datasheet" or "data" if many irrelevant returns eg searching for SMD topmark D132 data , then ("D132" AND "datasheet" "top code" OR "topcode" OR "top mark" OR "topmark" OR "marking" OR "part marking" ) entered into the searchbox. Or ("D132" AND "filetype:pdf" "top code" OR "topcode" OR "top mark" OR "topmark" OR "marking" OR "part marking" ) limiting to trade pdf sources only. Any more synonyms gratefully received. Or best search engine for picking up letter pairs / triplets, google not too good for this Or anyone know of a replacement for this , in its time very useful NEAR function for Google searches?

ie in this case "marking" NEAR "D132" within 1 , 2 or 3 words that order or each way , selectable

N_Cook

Sorry, was the only URL I had.

Reply to
Meat Plow

"DaveC" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

There is a database here:

and here you can find HF:

Uffe Bærentsen
Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Warning ... Do not visit the above site with javascript enabled and/or an industrial strength pop-up blocker if you value your sanity (and possibly your PC).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Chromium for Linux seemed to handle the pop-up crap well. Clivetech needs to find a better free host.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yeah, I saw that. Pretty intense pop-ups. Still, the data is worth the trip.

Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Thanks, Uffe!

Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Good resources. Thanks.

[...]

Or, in other words, a Google is only as good as the terms used. Didn't know about "top" term. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Thanks.

Not lowercase. Uppercase, just smaller type than "HF"

Acquisition PCB, Tek TDS420 scope. No schematics in the public domain.

Thanks again, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

"DaveC" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Sorry for that. My TrendMicro took care of all that for me.

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Reply to

Can't blame them for trying to raise revenue, I guess. One would think, though, that they'd turn it down a notch or two so as not to chase people away. Or at least have dancing bears and cute puppies! ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

these

there's=20

for=20

Yahooing?

No-script in Firefox seems to have stopped the hosting driven crap cold.

Reply to
JosephKK