Crystal Radio Amplifier

This may be a stupid question, but I'm about to build a crystal radio

and I want to use a little audio amp (Cat. KC5152 @
and was wondering if I'd need the matching preamp (Cat. KC5172 @ Jaycar) for the crystal radio's high impedance output. Any help on this appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave.H

Oops, gave the wrong category # for the preamp, this is the correct one, KC5166

Reply to
Dave.H

Would the amp work with a 5 watt 8 ohm speaker? I just dug one of these out of my junk box, and want to use it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave.H

Hi Dave, Crystal sets are fun to build and can teach something about radio and electronics. They are meant to 'power' a high impedance headphone. Yes you can amplify the signal. You would need an amp with high input impedance and you most likely would need additional amplification to drive the speaker. Keep in mind that all the noise is amplified also. IMHO: Much more fun with just the phones, but by all means experiment.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Yep, all the fun is knowing that what you're hearing is being directly powered by the transmitter. I remember what a blast it was building my first crystal set -- and that was BEFORE radio had even been invented!

Of course, if get into trouble, you can always add an antenna amplifier, and then maybe an intermediate down converter, and I suppose a narrow band filter followed by detector and a high-powered audio amplifier. That would work, too.

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

I think you got my point precisely. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

So I do need the preamp? I intend on using headphones, most of the time, but sometimes I like to have a bit of background noise, and headphones just don't work for that. This amp will probably also be used with the Hiker's One regenerative radio I'm also planning on building.

Reply to
Dave.H

Use a preAmp.

Reply to