Audio Choke?

HI,

I have a question regarding a radio reciever. Now I know I can do this another way but here is the idea.

The recieved radio signal is embedded deep within noise. Is it possible to take the audio signal and use a choke or something to kill the noise so that just the signal can then be heard and amplified?

I don't really want to tamper with the innerds of the radio... Still under garantee...

Paul,,,,

Reply to
Paul Horwood

I take it you have a weak AM station? You are basically describing a tone control, but they do it with capacitors (the opposite of a choke)- you could use a choke but a capacitor is cheaper. You would get more bass with a choke in series or capacitor in parallel with speaker (this is normally done at the preamp stage). Putting capacitor in parallel with speaker would lower impedance and may blow amp, so choke might work if you are lucky and it is adjustable. I would descibe your situation better and you might get better advice...if you have preamp outputs would use an audio equalizer...if weak AM signal a better antenna try ham radio forums...if 60 cycle hum that's another problem. Dave

that

Reply to
Dave

this

possible to

so that

no, because the noise is at the same frequency as the audio. Same is true at rf.

You can cut the higher audio frequencies, since that will remove a lot of noise while still leaving the audio intelligible.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I read in sci.electronics.design that snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote (in ) about 'Audio Choke?', on Sat, 7 May 2005:

Intelligibility drops off rapidly as the cut-off frequency is reduced below 4 kHz. The subjective impression of the sound can be improved by cutting the low frequencies as well. 3dB down at 250 Hz and 4 kHz gives a reasonably 'balanced' sound quality.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate