"coupled" Inductors

"Jon Slaughter"

** The name is " common mode choke" - Google it.

The basic idea is the same AC current passes via both windings, but in opposite directions, so the core is not magnetised by it. Avoids core saturation.

Allows a small component to pass large AC supply currents while still filtering RF noise generated inside the load device.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
Loading thread data ...

What are the components that are coils of wire that are used like an inductor but are wound on the same bobbin/core?

I took a part a dsl filter and I'm trying to determine what the things are. Are they inductors or transformers?

The circuit treams them as inductors instead of tranformers in the sense of ther orientation. (there is no isolation) I assume this has to do only with noise issues rather than anything with power transfer.


---()()()()---- In Out ---()()()()----

instead of

---( )--- ) ( in ( ) out ) (

---( )---

The way I see it is that its just two inductors wound on the same core and probably just for noise issues that its done that way?

In any case, what is the technical term for it?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Maybe a common mode choke ?

formatting link

Reply to

Looks like it might be that.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

ElectronDepot website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.