Cost to run a Energy Star refrigerator

Hi,

This may not be the best group to post this but maybe someone has a quick answer.

I'm looking for a small compact 1.7 cu ft refrigerator for my office. A freezer is not really necessary, but if it doesn't cost more to run I guess it might be used several times a year, and ice would be nice to have if needed.

None of the units without freezers are "Energy Star" rated (and when comparing some of the same models with and without freezers some specifically say Energy Star COMPLIANT "yes" to freezer model, and "no" to non freezer models).

I'm not sure if this is saying that non freezer units are just not rated, but use the same amount of power as the freezer units and whether they are not compliant just because they are not rated.

I would assume it would cost more to run a freezer, than not. So if the freezer unit is ES compliant and the non freezer is not, which should cost more to run - an ES compliant freezer, or non ES compliant non freezer unit?

Obviously if there were specifications with current draw I could compare something, but I don't see that given anywhere.

Thanks

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

Actually giving specifications in engineering units would confuse 'consumers'. Or worse, they'd make it clear just how little meaning an "energy star" rating has.

I suspect that a pure refrigerator is going to consume as much or less energy than a refrigerator/freezer. I further suspect that whatever consumption threshold that must be met to get an Energy Star rating is higher for a fridge/freezer than for a fridge alone, making it easier to get the rating if you put a little box around the cooling coils and call the unit a "refrigerator/freezer".

But I'm pretty damn cynical about "Energy Star" ratings. There was some small hoopla recently about an Oregon woman who turned in a perfectly good 1937 fridge/freezer (which has obviously lasted for over 70 years) for an "Energy Star" unit that'll probably last 5 years before it needs replacing. No mention was made in the article about the extra energy consumption and other environmental impact that's going to be levied on the world for the manufacture of a new fridge/freezer every five years, and having a five year old one tossed in the dump.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

That's not the case where I'm looking.

For units from 1.5 to 1.8 cubic feet, more than half are Refrigerator Only.

Reply to
beryl

[ ... ]

You're a moron.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Most of those are thermoelectric, and they're junk. I got snookered by one when I wanted a small fridge for the lab, but since ice cubes are one of the pillars of my world, I got a small two-door Haier that I'm quite happy with.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A little 'Haier of the dog'? ;-)

I have one of their small countertop wine coolers to keep cold pop in my workshop. It was free, so why not use it? :)

Michael A. Terrell

Nah, not in the lab. If I drank on the job, I'd have to fire myself, and then where would I be? (*)

A likely story. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) In New Orleans, where my daughter lives, there's a local satirical newspaper called the New Orleans Levee (their motto: "We don't hold anything back"). One recent article announced the results of an anticorruption drive in the NOPD: the last remaining officer had to suspend himself, because he'd been signing his own time cards ever since the second-to-last one was suspended. ;)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

May have something to do with defrosting. The el-cheapo dorm size units leave out the defrost cycle and the freezer portion tends to fill with ice and need periodic defrosting. A dorm unit without the freezer may never need to be defrosted. Those run more like AC units and never get cold enough to pull moisture out of the air and freeze.

Reply to
default

Would you remember thaat you'd fired yourself when you sobered up? ;-)

It's been sitting there for over two years without ever having being plugged in. It's been that long since I've been able to work out there. :(

I was going to put it in my bedroom to keep a little food and pop for the days I'm really in pain, but there wasn't enough room for it and a small microwave.

They ran out of rope too soon? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

The label on the unit gives approximate cost to run per year.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I've got one of those Haier fridges that doesnt get cold. Any way to charge em up?

Reply to
BobG

Does it have a compressor? Some of their models are Peltier junction systems, and the switching power supplies fail.

Michael A. Terrell