Cool demonstration of electromagnetic induction using a magnet and copper pipe

For those of you that haven't seen this in action:

An eBay seller called magnet4less has a nice variety of neodymium magnets. I bought some of his 1/2" N48 sphere magnets. They work very well in 3/4" copper pipe.

The effect is amazing -- especially when you first demonstrate that the magnet is not attracted to the copper.

I dropped one through a 10' piece of 3/4" copper pipe and it took about 13 seconds to make it all the way through. It works well in short pieces, too.

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

Cool. I've seen several demonstrations of eddy-current braking, but this is the best one that doesn't require a big electromagnet.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

too.

I have some small Boron Iron magnets about 1/4 in. in diameter that slowly slide down an inclined aluminum cookie sheet. Its a great demo. Of course the same magnets slide very fast down a piece of cardboard to illustrate the difference.

Interestingly these magnets stick to the black specks in our granite counter top. Obviously these specks are some iron mineral in the granite.

Reply to
Bob Eld

You haven't seen jack until you've tried it with a solid silver bar. The thickness makes a lot of difference (more than the 2% conductivity difference ;-), but there's the allure of pure silver too). It takes seconds *per inch*. On an inclined slab, it's so "sticky" the magnet starts tumbling down in slow motion.

Tim

Tim Williams

Tis one's cool too:

I guess one utube leads to another! ;-)