Converting balanced audio output for an unbalanced input 5m away

I assume that you meant the VHS deck takes UNbalanced inputs. Have you checked

They may have something to help you.

help

our

functionality

UK?

of

Reply to
tempus fugit

Hi,

We have a VT deck with balanced outputs (on XLRs) for audio. Thanks to help from this NG I managed to build a simple volume control so we can leave our powered monitor speakers (out of reach on wall-mounts) at max and control the input from the desktop. I'm now trying to build some more functionality into the same box.

I need to be able to feed a VHS deck which takes balanced inputs via a Scart. I've found a couple of circuit diagrams on Jensen's website ( at

) but they require audio transformers I can't seem to find in the UK - can anyone suggest a circuit diagram that'll do the job with parts I can get from (say) Maplin in the UK?

Plus a quick question if I may - the writer of the article says that it's best to stick the balanced -> unbalanced converter at the unbalanced end of the cable because of capacitance on the line - while I understand it makes sense to keep the line balanced for as much of the signal path as possible (common sense), is there anything I can do to minimise the capacitance effect mentioned? The signal, once unbalanced, has to go down around 5 metres of unbalanced shielded cable before it reaches the VHS machine.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-- birmingham uk