cm choke for blocking oscillator

I want to take 1.5 volts and boost it to 5 volts. Don't need a lot of power, maybe 100mW. Common mode chokes are cheap and readily available. Do people ever make blocking oscillators out of them? I'm looking at

Michael Robinson

That\'s not a common mode choke.

http://www.murata.com/emc/knowhow/pdfs/te04ea-1/26to28e.pdf

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Have done on a number of occasions.

Reply to
ian field

I was a little hasty with digikey's parametric search. Anyway, would use a common mode choke or possibly a pulse transformer. Something like

Make a joule thief-type circuit -- just one transistor, a coil with a feedback winding to the transistor base and a diode to pick off the pulses at the collector. Made one once the hobbyist way, winding it myself. Looking for something off the shelf.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Got any part numbers or links to chokes that might be appropriate for my power level?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Just a random common mode choke I harvested from a scrap monitor - the blocking oscillator is probably one of the simplest circuits you will ever build, almost any CM choke will work (even if only, after a fashion) small ones work best, aim for between 15 - 30 turns for each winding, so you might improve results by unwinding a few turns, I've always favoured the small toroid types.

Also aim for higher output voltage than you want and use a second transistor to shunt the B/E of the oscillator, the base of the shunt transistor is fed from the rectified O/P via a zener and small limiting resistor in series.

Reply to
ian field

Yes, I built a blocking oscillator a while back and closed the loop the same way. Output voltage was swinging all over the place but a 0.1 uF cap across the base/collector junction of the second transistor stabilized everythng and then the circuit worked very well. I used it to double 12 volts to 24. Let the circuit run and it crapped after a day or so. Maybe the feedback winding had too many turns and resulted in excessive reverse voltage at the base of the blocking oscillator transistor. I might clamp the blocking transistor's b/e junction with a reverse parallel diode next time.

Reply to
Michael Robinson