capacitances in parallel

That's an interesting way of thinking of them - the energy stored function defines the connection required for them to retain their energy

So:

e = 1/2CV^2 -> maintain the voltage

e = 1/2LI^2 -> maintain the current

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

While both store energy, and it IS possible to come up with various scenarios involving superconductors and the like wherein inductive storage would work "in isolation," I think that in a practical, real-world sense this IS a significant difference between capacitors and inductors. After all, how many "super-inductors" do you see being used, essentially, as batteries? :-)

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

There have been some plans for, and small-scale prototypes of, superconductive electrical energy storage facilities. Google "superconductive energy storage" for lots of interesting stuff.

I've never heard of capacitors being considered on this scale.

John

short the leads... that's how the make superconducting magnets....

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

"jasen"

** No wonder NZ is the one place every inhabitant wants to split.

Just to escape the FUCKING " jasen " IDIOTS for one reason !!!

Then there are all those tattooed, psycho Maoris ........

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
Yeah, sure, but I wouldn\'t think "in isolation" included the cooling
equipment.

Good grief, you really *don't* understand inductors!

John

The magnets don't have cooling equipment as such, just insulation.

So hang it out in deep space, where the blackbody temperature is 4K. Is that "isolated" enough?

John

[a load of shit]

A candidate for Google Groups Killfile

It works on Firefox including 2.0. You need Greasemonkey. I'm not sure if it can be used with IE or Opera.

Bye Phil!

Reply to
mike.j.harvey
** A candidate for Google Groups Killfile

Or else any convenient tree and a long rope.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Farkin Idiot "

** What an ASD f***ed f****it.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You really aren't very good with insults, either. What *are* you good at?

John

"John Farkin Idiot "

** What a BORING ASD f***ed f****it.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'll take that for "nothing."

John

"John Farkin Idiot "

** What a BORING ASD f***ed f****it.

They sure don't like being outed

This cretin is just burning with indignant rage.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Take it out past Pluto... pretty isolated out there and plenty cold enough.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

** ROTFLMAO !!

The Wanker King of Usenet Plaigerism strikes again !!!!!

No wonder NZ is the one place every inhabitant wants to split.

Just to escape all the FUCKING " jasen " IDIOTS for one reason !!!

Then there are all those tattooed, psycho Maoris about to out vote the asinine, d*****ad, failed pommies that think they own the shit hole ........

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--- Goddam, John, why are you always so ornery?

Here: On Earth, you can take a capacitor, charge it up, remove the supply and the "isolated" cap will stay charged up forever, neglecting leakage.

Can you do the same thing with an inductor? Not unless you make it superconducting, which requires ancillary equipment, which takes it out of the 'isolated' category.

Yes, it would work in space at 4K. So what?

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Yes. The current will circulate forever, neglecting resistive losses. No different from a cap. At room temp, caps can have longer decay tau's than inductors. The biggest real-life, non-superconducting L/R time constants I've heard of were in the few-hours sort of range.

So inductors store energy "in isolation" just like caps do. And utility-scale inductive energy storage is feasible.

John

Yes, but you can\'t neglect the resistive losses without making the
inductor superconductive, and to do that you have to have to make,
and keep, the inductor superconductive.  That keeps it from being
"in isolation",  a criterion the simple charged cap easily meets.
Reply to
John Fields