Can a shock from an electric eel burn?

Hi:

Can the electric shock caused by contact with an electric eel raise the temperature of the victim's skin/flesh sufficiently to cause burn injuries?

Thanks,

Radium

Reply to
Radium

650 volts? You'll look surprised!!

Homer J Simpson

I don't think so. it takes a much higher current than the eel produces. and it'd burn the eel too...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

So, tell us just how much current they produce.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Up to one amp is stated. That'll hurt - or kill you if you're Australian.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

A one amp flow at hundreds of volts would cause a lot of heating, wouldn't it?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, in sources outside of water, 650 volts would burn the flesh. I guess the excellent conductivity of the salt water in the sea decreases the amount of ohm heating that occurs. But, as usual, I could be wrong.

Reply to
Radium

Hmm, I seem to recall that electric eels are freshwater creatures that live in muddy rivers in South America. I'm no expert, but I'd say the eel doesn't get burned because its total output is spread over a large surface area. Of course, the victim is not burned either, just stunned and/or disoriented long enough for the eel to make its moves.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

CRIKEY!

Reply to
kell

Depends on how many amps they had for breakfast.

--

Banning guns is a big relief for criminals, they
can now work safely.

Claude Hopper
Reply to
Claude

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

As a basis for comparison my soldering iron uses just .24 A at 125V to get 30W...

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

So, howcome nobody's started eel farms to generate electricity with?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's hard to hook them up to the microwave.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson