Calculate speed when skiing?

--
3 axis accelerometer and a clock?
Reply to
John Fields

I'm working with a specially designed application for calculating the speed when skiing - without having any fixed reference points. I have found some wathes calculate the speed based on using altimeter and clinometer. Does anyone have some experience with this kind of application, or better ideas?

Reply to
HS

No experience, but you should be able to do this by Doppler shift reflected off the snow, probably with everything mounted on a ski. You can probably use optical, radar, or ultrasound. Just a thought.

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Bob Masta

GPS

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Its going to be pretty tough to beat GPS for this application.... gps includes speed and vertical displacement.

Have you seen those recording devices they rent at the big ski slopes? They tell you vertical drop, speed, give you a map at the end of the day on your entire route, etc..

I think the armband unit rents for $20 / day or so.

LB Detroit

Reply to
zipzit

You can buy a wrist mounted Garmin ForeTrex GPSr for just over $100.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones