Cable TV splitter and Internet connection

I use Charter Communications as my ISP. At one outlet in the house I have a CTV splitter to connect to both a TV and my cable modem.

Worked well for 2 years. Then, all of a sudden, no internet service.

Chater finally asked if there was a splitter. When removed the internet service returned. Replaced with a new, more expensive splitter and all is well with both TV and internet.

Charter said that splitters go bad. Rarely, but it does happen.

Wondering how a splitter can go bad. Isn't it a simple voltage divider with an impedance match to 75 ohms? Are there capacitors in there that could go bad?

Thanks.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Check the frequency rating of the old and new splitter. Charter may have changed their frequencies and you purchased on the can handle the new frequencies. Always feed the internet connection by itself, do not chain splitters. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi