Lead Acid Battery in parallel

Hi all,

Why do manufacturer specify number of battery that can be shunted together, so as to increase the AH rating?? Is there any hazard involved....if I go beyond this?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack// ani

I've never seen such a spec. As long as the batteries are the same chemistry, same voltage/capacity rating, and maintained properly, you can put any number of them in parallel - go look at the battery banks at the phone company sometime. :-)

Of course, your wiring (or bus bars) have to be capable of handling the current.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I read somewhere.....you should not place more than 3 batteries in parallel, also the AH rating of all those batteries should be equal!! Maybe its not true....just want to confirm!!

Thanks again

Reply to
Jack// ani

Me neither. It sounds very odd.

A study of submarine batteries should prove interesting in that regard.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I saw one of those overgrown stereos in a mini pickup truck go up in flames when one of the seven 12 V lead acid truck batteries failed and shorted out the others. There were no fuses, because "They take away points an the contests" so everything burnt. The two guys in the cab barely made it out because the rear of the cab was cut out. After that fire I sold a lot of surplus 90 Amp DC circuit breakers at the asset recovery company I was working for.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You will get a very interresting expierience if one of the sets fails short ciruit!.With to many in parallel, a nice explosion should follow. If possible,shop for a larger single unit.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Well, if you're handling 2.5 cm x 10 cm (1" x 4") solid copper bus bars, you'd have to be supremely clumsy to cause a short. ;-) Like Pooh said, check out some submarine batteries. Or, if that's inconvenient, go to your local railroad roundhouse and look at some locomotive batteries. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, somebody's blowing smoke up your pants.

AS LONG AS YOU PROVIDE FOR A BALANCED CURRENT PATH, it's indistinguishable from one, larger, battery.

The bugaboo might be ensuring that your circut loads them equally, which, if you're drawing hundreds of amps, might take a little bit of thought as to the design, like big fat bus bars. :-)

And, oh, yeah, that idiot that left out the fuse because "it takes off points" sounds like the perfect audiophoool.

Where do such stupid people get such huge piles of money to throw away on that crap?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise