basic power generation question (and alternators)

Hi there, I have been trying to get a question answered and am running into road blocks, could you possibly help as the experts in the area? Be gentle with me, i've forgotten a lot of this and consider myself a basic rookie! Here's the scenario...

Imagine a 3 phase induction turbine, similar to what's used for wind mills. Smaller ones (say a 4 - 10' diameter blade configuration) are "geared" to operate at peak efficiency around 20 - 25 mphs about 10-12 m/s - (I think that's about 500 rpm up to about 1200 rpm). This is so because that's what average wind speeds usually are and they are designed to generate power at low wind speeds. What if you had a consistent high wind speed? Is it possible to "gear" these smaller turbines for peak efficiency at 50 or 65 mph instead? OR, Could one be purchased separately (sort of "off the shelf") and then it's rotating shaft be "fit" for small wind blades. Put simply, I need a 3 phase alternator (or whatever is most efficient for generating and storing) that runs at higher rpms efficiently WITHOUT the 30 metre diameter blades and associated price tag. Also, would a 12 volt or 48 volt alternator be a better choice. Any suggestions at all or where I might further research would be great. I thank you kindly for your consideration and any help you could provide me. Thanks a million, Pete

Reply to
mavava

Are you looking to buy or build? Don't "normal", "off-the-shelf" windmills have a blade pitch control?

Where do you have consistent winds of 50-65 MPH?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe on-the-road power for a vehicle?

John

Reply to
John

Heck, I remember coming up with this almost 50 years ago - a turbine-powered generator on the top of the car, driving electric motors!

I wonder howcome somebody hasn't marketed that yet? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
mavava

On 28 Sep 2006 13:51:49 -0700, in message , "mavava" scribed:

I'm sure she wouldn't mind a bit if you could guarantee as good or better reliability as she enjoys now. And um, supplied her a loaner while the project was underway.

Reply to
Alan B